In the month of thirsty summer when our taste bud quenching for summer coolant especially summer beverages. But what about appetite? Despite of drinks our taste bud tantalise for a savoury peppery dish . Sweet and sour mushroom is sort of flavourful savoury dish. Sourness of tamarind and sweetness of sugar tickle in your mouth which tastes utterly delicious.
Jump to Recipe
Sweet ‘n Sour Mushroom
The sweetness and sourness in the dish is a combination of sugar and tamarind. The recipe is one of the way to show your culinary arts when you serve in your family or friends . It would be one of your side dish on table and perfect match when serve with streamed rice.
Mushroom could be sweet and sour ?? A quest buzzing in the mind when i served first time on table in my family. The golden brown shade of the curry would fall you in love and tempting you to eat the dish, same experience i found when i served in my family. Indeed its one of our staple dish now ,when mushrooms are blooming in market.
HOW TO PREPARE ‘ SWEET n SOUR MUSHROOM’
The month of spring is about to say bye bye and the summer on set to rule out ,in the time our local vendors are appeared selling mushrooms in markets. I choose oyster for the dish because of its firm and chewiness never get soggy after cooking rather than other mushrooms.
Sweet ‘n Sour Mushroom
- Clean the mushrooms and soak in turmeric water for 1o to 15 minutes, it is a traditional way of cleaning mushrooms to remove dirt . Rinse them in cold water for 2 to 3 times under tap water . Squeeze the mushrooms to remove water before cooking to avoid excess water .. Take them out and cut into stripped or shredded.
- Soak chick peas whole night or 8 to 9 hours. Discard the water and boil them in salt water until soft.
- Meanwhile prepare the tamarind extract. Soak tamarind in 1 cup of water for 15 to 20 minutes. Then gently mash the tamarind using your finger tips until seeds and pulp are separated firmly. Strain and collect the extract in a bowl ,discard the remaining seeds.
sweet and sour mushroom
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan, shallow fry mushrooms and chick peas around 3 to 4 minutes over medium flame.
- Take them out ,in the same pan heat oil, add one by one all the ingredients for tempering. Now add mushrooms and chick peas ,stir well. Pour water and tamarind extract along with salt. Add sweetness of your choice.
- Cook on medium flame until the gravy is little thicken and take them out ,finish it up sprinkling spring onions.
Sweet and Sour Mushroom
Sweet and sour mushroom is a lip-smacking stew loaded with flavours. Each sip of the stew intensify your taste bud and would be served well as side dish along with steamed rice.