Barley Delight is a delightful sweet dish satiate your crave for sweet .It's a healthy dessert made out of goodness of cereal barley , jaggery and coconut milk . One of the quintessential summer evening dessert .
- 1/2 cup Barley broken pearl barley
- 1 cup Coconut milk thick
- 1/2 cup Jaggery as per taste
- 1 tbsp Ghee clarified Butter
- 1 grip Dry fruits cashews, almonds, raisins
- 4 to 5 pieces Cardamom crushed
- pinch of salt
Clean and rinse barley thoroughly. Soak them in 2 cups of water for 8 hours . Now boil the barley adding pinch of salt in a pressure cooker with out discarding the water for 30 minutes .
After 30 minutes add little more water and cook on high flame. Stir it to avoid sticking to the base for 5 minutes.
Now add jaggery powder when it will be dissolved evenly, add coconut milk. Stir on high flame for 1 minute. Off the flame. Sprinkle the crushed cardamom.
In a small pan,, heat ghee along with dry fruits . Stir fry until the dry fruits are light brown. Pour and stir into the barley. Enjoy it warm or chilled . Sprinkle some dry fruits before serving .
- You can use sugar instead of jaggery powder .But jaggery gives not only a gorgeous look but also enhance the taste of this conventional dish.
- You can use cow milk ,khoya instead of coconut milk to make the dish more rich and creamy.